In this post, you will learn the step-by-step process of how to start a WordPress blog on WordPress.com for FREE…
- Choose A Domain Name
- Create Your Account
- Input A Site Setting
- Create Your Profile
- Customize Your Contact Page
- Publish Your First Blog Post
- Customise Your Blog
- Share Your Blog
Step 1: It’s Time to Choose A Domain Name
A domain name is what people type to get to your website. It’s your blog’s address where it lives on the internet. The domain name of my blog is LavandaMichelle.com. That’s where people find me online. I choose a “.com” address because it can immediately be recognized by audiences around the world. Like myself, I’m sure you can appreciate a global audience. Ask yourself these three questions:
- What would you like to name your site?
- What will your site be about?
- What’s the primary goal you have in mind for your site?
Then you will have the opportunity to search that domain name/address for availability. You might have to play around with it for a while. My FREE WordPress.com address is LavandaMichelle.wordpress.com. Be sure to start with the FREE option while your developing your basic layout and initial imagery. You can always upgrade to a paid site at anytime.
STEP 2: Now it’s Time to Create Your Account
- You will be asked to provide your email address. Make sure to provide an email address you check regularly. i.e., LavandaMichelle@gmail.com
- Then you will have to choose a username. This usually includes part of your web address/domain name. My username is LavandaMichelle.
- Lastly, you will have to choose a password. I suggest writing it down or using something you will remember.
STEP 3: Now it’s Time to Input a Site Setting
- You will need a Site Icon – Mine is my profile pic
- You will need a Site Title – Mine is Lavanda Michelle
- You will need a Site Tagline – Mine is Enjoying Life as Mom and Wife
- You will have to choose the Language for your site
- You will have to choose a Site Timezone
STEP 4: Now it’s Time to Create Your Profile
- You will need a Profile Picture
- You will be asked to provide Your First and Last Name
- You will be asked to Keep or Change Your Display Name. It is usually the same as your user name. Mine is LavandaMichelle
- You will be asked to write a few sentences about yourself
STEP 5: Now it’s Time to Customize Your Contact Page
Your contact page makes it easy for people to get in touch with you. You can personalize this page by explaining when and how people can contact you. In addition to text, you can add a picture or video as well.
STEP 6: Now it’s Time to Publish Your First Blog Post
STEP 7: Now it’s Time to Customize Your Blog
I used to advise my clients to customize their blog before they customize their contact page. However, after years of seeing people get stuck on this part, I decided to move it here a bit later on in the process. WordPress makes it easy to customize your blog. The simplest way you can customize your blog is by choosing from the 90+ free themes currently available with more being added constantly. A theme is your blog’s basic layout (what your blog looks like). Don’t worry, you can change the theme and design it by changing the colors, pictures and fonts at anytime. I suggest picking something you will love to see and never get tired of looking at. It will save you a lot of time down the road. This can be a lot of fun. Be creative and enjoy!
STEP 8: Now it’s Time to Share Your Blog.
In order to have traffic flowing to your blog, quality content is not enough. You need to promote your blog posts and share them where your potential readers hang out. I recommend starting with Social Media (Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Google + etc.) and having a great “elevator pitch.”
What are your thoughts? Are you excited? Are you ready to take the plunge? Please share in the comments below. I really would love to know.
Until next time, shine amongst the stars!
‘This post may contain affiliate links’
If you haven’t made enough money blogging, look into taking the